Saturday, May 05, 2007

The Orchestra di Piazza Vittorio

A muezzim's cry over bass, drums and violins? Or a Tunisian counterpointing with a Senegalese singer sided by sax trumpet and some kind of Brazilian ukulele? I guess this could happe in NYC, and indeed this happened last night as part of the Tribeca Film Festival.

But I would have never guessed that this could have arisen from the Roman Sq. (Piazza Vittorio) where my grand-mother used to lure my 5 year old self
with Hungarian salami and other forbidden foods, and where the Russian emigrees, who had dubbed the place "round market," used to shop on the cheap. The market was disbanded in the early nineties and the area soon became. Rome's China town.
The area was and still is considered relatively unsafe and grungy. From the crucible of ethnicities the space for new sound appeared.
Last night I heard World Music, if there was ever anything representative of the genre this was it. I have ofted styled my native country as provincial. Last night I was proved wrong!
And happily so!
Sent from my BlackBerry wireless handheld.

No comments: